Polystachya paniculata

Most plants will, but if you have a specific question, post it here.

Polystachya paniculata

Postby anycris » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi, I just received a polytachya paniculata, does anyone grow this one in sh? mine doesn't look like is doing so great in sh, lower leave is yellowish, not sure if I should take it out of leave it there and see. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
anycris

Re: Polystachya paniculata

Postby raybark » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:11 am

1) I think that pretty much any plant can be grown in S/H culture, but the rest of your conditions play an as big-, if not bigger role in your particular success with a single plant. You will find folks that have great luck with dens while lousy luck with phals, and others who do great with phals and poorly with dens. That is not an issue with the plants or S/H, it is an issue with the overall culture given.

2) How long has the polystachya been in S/H? (I have one doing quite nicely, by the way.) The lower leaf loss might be perfectly normal.
Ray Barkalow
Orchid Iconoclast
raybark
Site Admin

Postby anycris » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:24 pm

its been there like 3-4 weeks? this is my only polystachya I have and to be honest I haven't found much information on the web on how to care or grow it

I haven't seen any new roots or the plant doing anything other than staring too look weak and I know if I don't act fast it might be too late

can I ask you what's the set up you have yours in and what do you feed ? I'm in Florida, west coast to be exact. I grow outside but this one is seating in my kitchen window which gets morning sun and I've been taking it out of there at night because I thought maybe the cold from the window was too much

Thank you in advance for any info you could provide :)
anycris

Postby raybark » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:12 am

From what I "read between the lines", it sounds like it was not actively growing new roots (not new growth on existing ones) when you transplanted it, and its current roots are having a difficult time sustaining the plant. At this point, it will pay to keep it quite warm, to stimulate the metabolism to start growing new roots. Preferentially warming from the bottom is best for that.

I grow in a warm/intermediate greenhouse - min about 60°F, and am currently feeding K-Lite at 50 ppm N, but don't even think about giving your plant food right now. A root-growing stimulant is a better idea - I recommend KelpMax or K-L-N.
Ray Barkalow
Orchid Iconoclast
raybark
Site Admin

Postby anycris » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:42 am

Thank you :)
anycris

Return to Will this Orchid Grow in Semi-Hydro Culture?